Is this for real?
Well, my version is not actually the same champorado that is made up of chocolate, sugars, and glutinous rice.
While a typical serving of the REAL chocolate rice porridge offers more sugar and calories, mine contains way LESS or NO sugar and almost NO calories at all!
This is the Generic Champorado nutrition fact:
Photo credit: Very Well Calorie Count
And these are the ingredients of my very own champorado style:
1. 1 tablespoon of unsweetened Hershey’s cocoa
– Calories: 10
– Total Carbohydrates: 3g
2. 1 tablespoon of Pysillium Husk Powder
– Calories: 30
– Total Carbohydrates: 8g
3. 3 packets of Stevia Natural Sweetener
– Calories: 0
– Total Carbohydrates: 0g
As you can see, the Pysillium-variant champorado contains only a total of 40 Calories and 13 grams of Carbohydrates (most of which are FIBER).
Sometimes I use CHIA SEEDS instead of the pysillium. Tastes great too!
Now let me digest what we can obtain from this “bizarre” formulated chocolate porridge and why I keep consuming it almost daily.
You might be surprised how SUPERB the benefits are…
– Excellent source of Dietary Fiber.
– Dietary fiber can be classified as soluble or insoluble.
– SOLUBLE fiber dissolves in water and it can help lower blood sugar and bad cholesterol.
– INSOLUBLE fiber increases the stool bulk so it can help relieve constipation and irregular stools.
– Other benefits of a high-fiber diet includes:
– Daily recommendation for fiber intake is:
NOTE: Always drink plenty of water i.e. more than 2 liters daily to reap the real benefits of high fiber intake. Low water intake can cause CONSTIPATION.
CACAO (Dark Chocolate)
– Rich in FLAVONOIDS which are potent anti-oxidants.
– Positive effects on the release of NITRIC OXIDE (found in your blood vessels), and this improves blood flow and lowers your blood pressure.
– Reduces stickiness of blood by preventing the platelets from clotting. This lowers blood pressure as well.
– Studies showed that cacao can lead to reduction in diabetes and insulin resistance by positively affecting blood sugar regulation.
– Cacao consumption is also linked to decreased “bad” cholesterol.
– Important super food of the ancient Aztecs and Mayans.
– Contains high fiber (benefits discussed above).
– Loaded too with anti-oxidants.
– High in quality protein.
– High in Omega-3 fatty acid that is good for heart health.
– High in certain minerals like calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus that are all essential for bone health.
All that I have listed above are just some of the WONDERFUL HEALTH BENEFITS that our body can get from this single cup of STRANGE chocolate porridge.
While I cannot guarantee that it will satisfy your taste buds as it does with mine (because we have different preferences), why don’t you just give it a try?
Although I am not in the position say that this is better than the regular champorado or more enjoyable than drinking a tall mocha Frappuccino from Starbucks, I’ll let you be the judge instead.
Just take a glance again on all the health benefits itemized above then take your pick for your next chocolate drink.
Alex Saroca is the founder of Tabachoy Academy. He is a general physician by profession, an author, a blogger, and an entrepreneur. He is on a mission to educate and make Filipinos realize - especially those with overweight, high blood pressure, and type 2 diabetes - that lifestyle modification is still more powerful than any drug in preventing heart disease, treating heart disease, and improving one's physical state and longevity.